Are you ready? With hurricane season upon us, Edison Electric Institute and its shareholder-owned member electric companies want to remind you about the importance of preparing for storms and other emergency situations. Taking simple steps now to prepare for emergencies in your home, business, and community can pay great dividends if, and when, an emergency situation occurs.
For example, if a storm is approaching, there are a few simple steps you can take to prepare for a possible power outage:
- Store at least a 3-day supply of non-perishable food that requires no refrigeration or cooking and uses little water;
- Charge your cell phone and any other electronic devices that need to be charged;
- Keep flashlights and extra batteries on hand;
- Post emergency telephone numbers, including the number of your local electric company to report outages, near telephones; and
- Turn down your air conditioning and keep all doors and windows closed.
Explore EEI’s Web site to find out:
For more tips on how to prepare for a hurricane, visit the National Hurricane Survival Initiative.
And, don’t forget to visit your local utility’s Web site for more guidance on how to prepare for storm season.